Another House Lost

The Gordon-Fisher Homestead

Fisher Tenant House, Nov. 13, 2012, photographed by Renee Kiriluk-Hill

photograph found on, taken by Renée Kiriluk-Hill for the Hunterdon County Democrat

On November 13, 2012, the home of Brian McVey and his 11-year-old son Calvin was destroyed by fire. Not only did they lose all their possessions, they also lost their dog, who for reasons unknown ran back into the house while the McVeys were escaping. The community is coming together to help the McVeys get back on their feet. Gift cards to places like Target, Walmart, Lowes, etc. can be delivered to the Delaware Township school, in an envelope marked for Eileen Ventimiglia and Sue Whitlock.

This fire destroyed something else that can never be replaced—the 18th-century home of the Gordon family, who came to Delaware Township long before the Revolution. The fire completely gutted the house, leaving the stone walls standing in precarious condition. It is likely the structure will be demolished rather than restored.

This old house stands on the Fisher place, named Spring Meadow Farm, at the intersection of Locktown-Sergeantsville and Reading Road. Here is some of what I know about the Gordons.

Thomas and Margaret Gordon

Around 1696-97, Thomas Gordon (ii) was born to Thomas Gordon (i) and Janette Mudie. He was probably born in England, since his father had been sent there to represent the proprietors of East New Jersey, and returned to Perth Amboy around 1698-99. Thomas Gordon (i) was a man of consequence in the politics of East New Jersey, serving on the Governor’s Council and as Attorney General.

In 1722, Thomas Gordon (ii) purchased 200 acres from Nathan Allen located “on either side of the Swamp Road,” which meant the Locktown-Sergeantsville Road. He did not immediately move to this property; perhaps he saw it as an investment. Or, given the common names, perhaps it was his father Thomas who bought the land.

Sometime later, Thomas Gordon (ii) married his wife Margaret Oliphant, who was born in Staten Island, New York. She was the daughter of Duncan Oliphant and Mary Garrison. It appears the Gordons only had two children who survived to adulthood, since Thomas Gordon only named two children in his will of 1779. They were sons Franklin and Agesilaus, who were not born until the 1740s. By that time the family had moved to Amwell Township, where Thomas Gordon was listed as a freeholder in 1741. They settled on the farm on the “Swamp Road,” so it is likely the old stone house was built in the early 1740s, making it one of the oldest left in the township.

It does seem surprising that the son of a prominent man in the more urban area of Perth Amboy would chose to move his family to a wilderness. And yet, Thomas Gordon (ii) was successful in his new home, and was able to bequeath his property to his eldest son in 1779 when he wrote his will. That son was Franklin Gordon, who was to receive the farm of 200 acres as a life-estate, and then it was to be divided between Franklin’s sons, Othniel and Thomas (iii). He also left a tract of land at Lake Champlain to both his sons, Franklin and Agesilaus. And he ordered that his sons recover a debt owed by Benjamin Stevens of New York, now living at Maidenhead (Lawrenceville).

Thomas Gordon (ii) died on June 5, 1784. Although his wife Margaret was not mentioned in Gordon’s will, it appears from her gravestone that she died the same year as her husband. They are both buried in Perth Amboy, in the family plot in St. Peter’s Episcopal Church cemetery. Thomas Gordon (i) is also buried there.

The Gordon Homestead

The 200 acres purchased by Thomas Gordon made a neat square surrounding the intersections of Pavlica and Reading Roads with the Locktown-Sergeantsville Road. The Gordon homestead was built north of the small creek running along Reading Road, and facing south in the traditional manner. Access to the house was almost certainly from the “Swamp Road,” as Reading Road was not put through until much later. The “Gordon Farmstead” is listed as D-30 in the old Hunterdon County Historic Sites Survey. In the Delaware Township survey of 1983, it is listed as 1007-30, part of a large farm complex.

The description of the stone house reads:

 “a stuccoed stone tenant house (evidently a 3 bay I-type with a 2 bay west exit) with brick-stacked gable end chimneys and small frame west gable end lean-to. Probably of 18th or early 19th century date, it has box cornices, flush raking eaves, 6/6 sash windows, two front entries and a shed-roofed front porch.”

When Dennis Bertland wrote this description, he had not been able to see the inside of the house, which I expect would have convinced him that it was built before the Revolution. We’ll never know for sure, now. As to its being a tenant house, that came about after Daniel Butterfoss built his handsome new house closer to the road, sometime around 1850.

Franklin Gordon and wife Ann

Thomas and Margaret Gordon’s son Franklin was born about 1740, and had a wife named Ann, about whom I know next to nothing. (She might have been from the Rake family.) Together they had six children: Othniel (or Athniel) born 1774; Permeley (or Permelia) born 1776; Thomas born about 1779; Mary born about 1780; Franklin born about 1785; and Philip, born 1788. The next year, perhaps to accommodate this large family, Franklin Gordon built himself a new house, across the road, also of stone. The date stone reads 1789. It is now owned by Robert K. Hornby.

It is hard to say who might have occupied the original Gordon house after 1789. It was probably not Agesilaus Gordon, the brother of Franklin, for in 1780 he had come into possession of a tavern. In 1770 Franklin Gordon bought part of the estate of John Lewis, which comprised the northern half of today’s Sergeantsville village. In 1780, Franklin Gordon sold to his brother Agesilaus a lot of 50 acres, on which Agesilaus built a stone building that came to be used as a tavern, and today is the municipal building. Agesilaus Gordon married about 1768 Mary Opdycke, daughter of John Opdycke Esq. and Margaret Green. This was a very prominent family in Amwell (Delaware) Township, and suggests that Agesilaus was held in some regard. Given the wedding date of 1768 and the land purchase of 1770, it is possible Agesilaus Gordon built his tavern right after marrying, and got title to the property ten years later. He died in 1815, without having written a will. Like many tavern owners, he did not die wealthy. It appears that he had no connection with the Gordon homestead farm.

Franklin Gordon died on July 6, 1793, at the age of 53. He had written a will on June 4, 1793 naming his wife Ann and son Othniel his executors. By that time, Othniel was only 19 years old. The will was witnessed by Peter Hoppock, Richard Heath, and James Dalrymple. Franklin’s daughters Mary and Permeley were still single, but for some reason, only Permeley was to receive “a good set out when she marries.” They both were given £100. The widow Ann was to have 2 cows, 6 sheep, 2 hogs, and all the furniture, and the use of a farm up on Pine Hill Road that Gordon had purchased, known as the Tead plantation (named for Jacob Tidd). Once the youngest son Franklin came of age, he and brother Philip were to share ownership of the Tead plantation with their mother.

Following the terms of this father’s will, he left his home farm, the 200 acres, to his sons Othniel and Thomas, with Othniel having the use of it until Thomas turned 21, which happened around 1799. (I am not certain when Thomas was born.)

Franklin Gordon’s will was recorded on July 25, 1793. It included an inventory made by Paul Kuhl and Andrew Bearder, which is surprising to me since both those men were not immediate neighbors of Gordon’s. Franklin’s will ordered that his clock be sold, which also surprises me. Why wouldn’t he bequeath it to someone in his family?

Grandsons Franklin and Philip

It appears from a deed of 1817 that Franklin Gordon died before February of that year. He would only have been about 32 years old. I do not know if he had a family. After his death, the whole of the Tead plantation became the property of his brother, Philip.

Philip Gordon was born July 10, 1788, married on December 17, 1808 Elizabeth Harden, daughter of Martin Harden. They had four children: Sarah, Andrew, Mary and Henry. In a deed of 1801, his land along Pine Hill road was identified as belonging to “Widow Gordon,” which would have been his mother Ann, widow of Franklin Gordon. Philip Gordon ran a distillery on this property, but in 1837, at age 48, he decided to leave for the west. He sold the farm and distillery to Jacob Hice, and moved his family to Darke County, Ohio, where he established the town of Gordon, and where he died two years later.

Granddaughters Permelia and Mary

Mary Gordon is a mystery to me. I have no information on her.

Permelia Gordon must have gotten that “set out” that was promised her, because in 1798 she married Uriah Larew, son of Abraham Larew and Mary Thatcher. As far as I can tell, they only had one child, Gordon Larew, born on June 21, 1800. Uriah Larew bought some of the land that had been owned by Thomas Larew in 1803. When his father died in 1806, he inherited some of his father’s plantation, known today as the Donald Jones farm. Uriah Larew died intestate in 1814. Adminstration of the estate was granted to Thomas Gordon and Jacob Race. An inventory was made by Abraham Lawshe and Thomas Hoff. His wife Permelia Gordon survived him by many years. She died in 1851 at the age of 75, and was buried in the Rake Cemetery near Sand Brook, next to her husband.

Othniel Gordon and wife Mary Heath

The will of Franklin Gordon ordered that son Othniel would have the use of the home plantation until Othniel’s brother Thomas reached the age of 21, and then it was to be divided as instructed in the will of Thomas Gordon Sr. In 1794, Othniel Gordon was obliged, along with his mother Ann, to administer the estates of both his father and his grandfather.

Othniel Gordon married Mary Heath, daughter of Capt. John Heath and Jane or Jean Lake, in 1797. They had nine children. In 1799, Ferry Road was surveyed and recorded as a public road, and Othniel Gordon was shown as a bordering owner. In 1803, the terms of Thomas Gordon’s will were finally carried out, with the farm divided between the sons of Franklin Gordon. Brother Thomas took the western half, of 122 acres, where the Fisher-McVey house stands, and Othniel took the eastern half, which was 119 acres, where the Hornby house stands.

Thomas almost immediately sold his share of the property to his brother-in-law Uriah Larew. And here I find myself in the dark. I have not done the deed searches necessary to fill in the blanks after 1803. What I do know is that by 1851, Daniel Butterfoss had taken possession of this farm, and may have purchased it from John Sergeant. Later on, it came into the Fisher family. Rather than wait to fill in these blanks, I will post this story while the loss of this important old house is still on our minds.

If anyone has a photograph of the house before the fire and would be willing to share it, please let me know, so I can attach it to this story.

Note: Marilyn Cummings and Carla Cielo have documented this house, which means that drawings, photographs and physical description are on file at the township hall. Thank goodness.

5 thoughts on “Another House Lost

  1. Geoff Raike

    Hi Marfy
    Another sad event.
    I’m not sure if at all that the Gordons are related. I know that on 24 Jan. 1817, Franklin Rake wrote a letter home in which he wrote:
    “Give my love to Aunt Anna Gordon, Philip Gordon and family”. It could be possible that she may have been his godmother? Interesting reuse of the Franklin name. Unless, the term Aunt was not used losely as to a good friend of the family (My godmother and a couple of my mothers dear friends were called Aunt by me when growing up).
    Based on Franklin Gordon being born 1740 and probably marrying Ann around 1760-80, if Ann was a Rake, she may have been a sister to John Rake Sr. or Else (last name unknown). Unfortunately, I have no documents supporting either.
    I did look into this family some time ago using indirect evidence in hopes of finding a connection to the Rake’s origins, but found nothing more.

  2. Carla Cielo

    The earliest section of this house is late 18th century and is about 24-feet long x 20-feet deep. It was enlarged to the east in the mid-19th century with a 12-foot wide stone addition, matching the depth and height of the original section. A Victorian porch was added across the south facade and a framed 19th century lean-to was located on the west side. The lean-to burned to the ground in March 2009 and I never got to see it. There was no interior connection between the main house and the lean-to. The first fire initiated a remodeling campaigned which exposed many 18th century characteristics formerly hidden behind mid-19th century and later materials.

    The original 24’ x 20’ house has one room on the first floor (17’ x 20’-3”) with a cookhearth on the west gable-end and a straight-run staircase (non-original) to the second floor and basement at the east end. Two bedchambers were likely on the second (floor plan was reconfigured in the 19th century).

    Attic floor- boards are between 11½” and 14” wide and are installed with what appear to be a mix of cut nails and nails with wrought heads.

    The original section had hand-planed and beaded oak ceiling beams that were covered by a 19th century plaster ceiling. The beams (8” x 5⅜” on the first floor and 7” x 5” on the second floor) are dressed with a delicate ¼-inch bead along the bottom edges and are typical of the second half of the 18th century.

    The kitchen cookhearth (6’-3” wide, 4’-6” high, and 1’-11” deep) has splayed sandstone side jambs and stone rubble back that was painted. There is a warming niche in the right (north) jamb (11” high x 11” wide x 1’-2” deep) that is 2’-7” above the hearth, and a stone arch for a former beehive oven which extended out the back (west) wall. Evidence suggest that winder stairs once flanked the cookhearth on the south side.

    The west bed chamber had a small fireplace (2’-9” high x 2’-9” wide (depth unknown)) with a brick arch instead of a lintel, lovely sandstone cheek walls, a plastered firebox, and a 3’-6” wide brick hearth. The firebox had been filled in with plastered stonework. A beautiful mantelpiece with molding beneath a shelf on built-up beaded and molded boards that were tenoned into a vertical board lining the chimney ornamented the 7’-6” wide chimney. It was attached to a hewn timber ground (4” high). Part of this mantel remained at the time of investigation. Wrought-headed nails were found in its construction, indicating it was original and probably 18th century. It was topped with a plastered over-mantel that included a 6-inch diameter flue (asymmetrically placed) for a chamber stove.

    The window frames are solid oak joined with a mortise-and-tenon connection that were exposed on the exterior side and trimmed with flat casing (beaded) on the interior side.

    The construction of the exterior cornice is similar to that which is found in other 18th century houses. It is formed by the second-floor beams (attic joists) which bear on and are cantilevered over a hewn oak wall plate and support a second plate and the ends of the rafters beyond the wall. This assemplage is cased but lacks a crown.

    The recent fire is a tremendous loss to the history of Delaware Township.

  3. Andrew Dougherty

    I performed the work that restored aspects of this historic gem after the fire of 2009.I can report that we found a spectacular mantle piece behind a false wall in the original kitchen,as this was not part of the building approach($)I stored it in an unheated portion of Floor 3.We also found something really interesting in that all of the window bucks were plumb level and square after some 250 years,they were indeed mortised old growth oak bucks that were pinned perfectly.This was a jewel that grew on us more and more as we restored it,it is a great loss.

  4. Sharon Hoerner

    Thomas and Margaret Gordon were my 6th G Grandparents. What I would give to see a picture of the home before the fire. They also had several children. Their daughter Epenetus was my 5th G Grandmother. I have a copy of her Consent to Marry signed by Thomas and Margaret Gordon. I also have a copy of the Marriage Bond signed by Epenetus and her husband to be John Sortor. Mike Sortor sent me a copy of a page out of the Sortor Bible. It says who she married, the names of her parents and her grandparents.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>