Amwell Township was created in 1708, in an area north of Burlington County. It did not belong to a county until 1714 when Hunterdon County was created. It contained Raritan, Delaware and East & West Amwell Townships until 1838 when Delaware and Raritan were created. In 1844, what was left of Amwell was divided into East and West. The Flemington, Lambertville and the Borough of Stockton also originated in Amwell Township.