Little Known of Mill That Existed Prior to John Prall’s
When the Canal Was Dug
by Egbert T. Bush, Stockton, N.J.
published in the Hunterdon County Democrat, February 13, 1930
The paintings shown in this article were made in the mid 19th century
for John Parker Prall. The artist was Thomas Whitley, and the originals
can be found in the John Prall, Jr. house in Prallsville.
It is common to speak of John Prall Jr. as the builder of the first mill in this hamlet. But his titles date back to early 1792; and to some of us it seemed strange that a site so attractive with the Wickecheoke Creek rushing into the Delaware, with an established ferry close at hand, and with a solid community back of it should have been so long without a mill. While investigation has so far failed to reveal all that was hoped for, it has demonstrated that Prall was far from being first to carry on milling business here.